Create an action plan
If you decide you want and/or need to continue work, talk to your social worker and healthcare team about how to balance work and treatment. These conversations will help you prepare for conversations with your manager and HR team. Ask questions like:
- Do you think my current responsibilities will be realistic in treatment? In what ways should I try to scale back or change my day-to-day work?
- Do you have tips/recommendations for ways to conserve energy on my treatments?
- Will I need to take time off? Can we work out a schedule that allows me to work?
It may be helpful to speak with a financial advisor who can help you set spending and savings goals. You will want to walk away from these conversations with answers to the following questions:
- Can I afford to leave my job or work part time, if needed?
- What steps do I need to take to ensure that I will be okay financially for the next 5 years? 10 years?